Lead Technical Product Manager - Platform
Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 10 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we’re looking for a Lead Technical Product Manager to join our Platform team in the London office.
For our customers, using Wise should feel as simple as sending a text message. Yet behind our app and website lies a complex, one-of-a-kind engine of currencies and routes that’s being designed, built and powered by our talented teams in cities around the world. With new capabilities being built every day, there’s still a lot to figure out, and we can’t do it alone. This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact on Wise Mission, grow as a product leader and help save millions more people money.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the Engineering Team
At Wise, our platform tribe and its teams are expected to collaborate with our product engineers to develop scalable solutions that improve the reliability and performance of our products to help TransferWise achieve its mission. It is formed of multiple sub teams (including data engineering, observability, site reliability engineering, and many more) that are loosely grouped focusing on the following:
- Data - Customer and financial data is fundamental for our product to work and scale
- Services - Mostly cloud infrastructure (AWS), but direct integrations with (central) banking systems and partners. How do we run and connect workloads together, so it's secure, reliable and efficient?
- Product - Understanding more closely how product teams build and services in production, with focus on the delivery and release lifecycle
This role would be on the front lines of that, working on the platform tribes interaction with product teams — identifying needs, creating solutions, and forever helping to make everything smoother and more efficient; as well as leading and coaching other Technical Product Managers who are focused on the sub team areas (Data, Services and Product).
We need you to do nothing more than keep Wise up and running. No big deal. But maybe a different deal than what you’re used to…
The infrastrastructure platform at Wise encompasses the foundation technical capabilities that allows our product engineers to focus on building fantastic products that delight our customers. Wise has been growing at incredible speed and we now need an experienced Product Manager to lead our growing technical product management team.
The product management team in platform helps ensure we maximize the benefit to our internal (and ultimately our external) customers with better requirements, analysis, coordination and prioritization of requests and features.
To be successful in your application you need experience in product management in a similarly technical product with many internal stakeholders and roadmap owners. Wise has a very proud tradition of fully autonomous product teams so ability to influence is key.
You will be responsible for:
- Working with stakeholders across the company to set the vision for the platform and the road to achieve it.
- Finding pragmatic ways to evolve a product development culture that delivers reliability and performance as standard
- Leading a small team of Technical Product Managers across the platform tribe.
- Driving the refining of our platform mission and supporting roadmaps in support of TransferWise’s company Mission.
- Working with infrastructure platform teams on delivery prioritization and execution
- Working with the 50+ product development teams to help them deliver
- Defining, measuring and improving non-functional requirements for our production systems.
A bit about you
- Are customer-focused. At Wise, customers always come first. You need to be enthusiastic about our customers. We are a company doing great things, but we couldn’t do it without our customers being ready to start a revolution.
- Used to working with internal technical stakeholders who are building features for customers, your customers are internal technical teams.
- Product Management experience working in a similar platform role or as a professional services consultant; whose customers are technical engineers is a plus.
- Lead experience - but does not necessarily have to have been in the same role
- Experience of modern microservice architectures and/or cloud computing infrastructure as a user or owner. This is not a technical role but general platform infrastructure knowledge is needed.
- Product management experience ideally in a similar role is a must, prior experience as a TPM for a platform/infrastructure team would be a bonus.
- Strong, clear communication and leadership skills. You know how to work effectively across a wide range of teams who face competing demands.
- You are data-driven. You need to be able to priorities the value you can add to customers, and numbers are the best way to do this. You can give examples of how you have moved some metrics before.
Interested? Find out more:
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.