UX Researcher - eCommerce
Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK
Posted 3 weeks ago
“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouses that we design in-house, our world-class talent constantly moves the goal posts of what is possible to achieve through sustained technological disruption.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture.
Based in Hatfield (16min train commute from London King’s Cross), we also have offices in Krakow, Wroclaw, Barcelona & Sofia.
What does the team do
We are Shopping Platforms and we build the online shopping experience for our retailer’s customers, you will join the team led by our team lead. Working with retail partners around the world, our teams strive to create the next-generation shopping platform that will change the way the world shops.
What would I be doing?
The UX Research position is a collaborative research role working with cross-functional teams focusing on web, mobile and voice.
Our user experience community is growing and we’re looking for a senior researcher who can help us better understand our customers in different parts of the world. Even though our solution is adaptable to any marketplace, it is really important to be aware of regional and cultural differences.
You’ll coordinate planning, analysing, and communicating research, and identifying where it is needed. Working alongside User Researchers and Product Analysts, you’ll interact with UX designers, PMs and developers as you work through generative and evaluative activities, collaborative analysis, and share evidence and insights.
And as part of our user research practice, you’ll be involved in building up our knowledge repository. We love design workshops, UX critiques, improving our accessibility, and we have access to a number of resources and tools to help us get the most out of our research.
Creating, testing and releasing our solutions in foreign markets is a really exciting space to be in, and watching more and more shoppers use our products from every continent of the globe is definitely what keeps us inspired and motivated.
Some of your responsibilities will include:
Researching & understanding user needs
- Oversee in-stream UX-R pipeline & contributes to a growing test participant database
- Recommends plans and conducts appropriate combinations of UX research methods working collaboratively with UX & Product teams.
- Collaborates with UX Lead or Senior Product Managers to decide when to use exploratory / discovery research to identify and understand core problems/opportunities
- Sets up templates/screening criteria & regular research benchmarking that can used across systems to help monitor CX effectiveness.
- Organises and curates research insights library that can be shared to drive maximum value from research efforts.
- Source data and use it to challenge problems and assumptions together with qualified insights.
- Explore multiple approaches to a problem before deciding on a research approach.
- Contribute to ideation with Product, Engineering and UX teams, taking an inclusive approach by considering all users in all research activities.
- Able to gather insight and actionable feedback on the fundamental principles of Visual design to validate the effectiveness of visual hierarchy & typography
- Identify inconsistencies, understand user impacts and share with the team to help improve end designs
- Understand the differences between native apps & responsive layouts when testing with users or sharing insights with the team.
- Demonstrates strong empathy with teams and customers to effectively balance competing needs
- Strong mentorship and coaching for others in UX craft and domain, within stream/s
- Evangelises customer needs in a compelling way to a variety of audiences
- Leads the practice of UX Research and effectively influences research questions to answer.
- Role models behaviours and applies Ocado Technology principles in day to day work
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.