Head of Product - Advanced Technology
London, Greater London, UK
“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is one of the largest technology organisations in Europe, with 2500 colleagues across multiple countries, including more than 150 product managers. Despite our scale, we operate as a collection of small, highly autonomous product teams to enable us to move at pace. We are constantly looking to improve how we work to become a world leader in effective software and hardware development.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What is Advanced Technology?
Advanced Technology is a division within Ocado Technology that solely focuses on the development of strategic and specifically complex and emergent technologies that are critical to the future of Ocado, Ocado Smart Platform (our B2B grocery business) and now General Merchandise. One of the main specialist areas of focus for the division is robotic pick; a generalised dexterous manipulation capability and platform.
What you will be doing
As Head of Product for Advanced Technology, you will be working with the Chief of Advanced Technology, where you will be responsible for defining and delivering a Product Strategy that continues to ensure the accelerated advancement of Ocado’s pioneering innovations that drive value for Ocado’s Grocery Partners and the wider Ocado Group. You will lead their Product Management team to provide clarity on business value whilst partnering with engineering teams to realise and deliver great products for our current and future clients.
You will be a visionary leader, with the relevant domain experience and insight necessary for working with such cutting edge technologies and systems, who in partnership with the Chief Advanced Technology Officer, can harness and shape the product development opportunities into business benefit through leadership of both the Product team directly, and the wider division.
Your key responsibilities will be;
- Align with the Ocado Group strategy, design and drive the vision and product strategy for Advanced Technology to change the landscape of the market and grow Ocado’s addressable business opportunities in these domains
- Drive prioritisation and investment decisions across the Advanced Technology portfolio through understanding the technical capabilities of the products and the commercial impact and possibilities created through innovation across the division
- Evangelise the product direction and lead the Advanced Technology division to success through building a high performing product team and working in close collaboration with Engineering, Research, Data Science and other disciplines within the division and across Ocado Group
- Help the team execute the goals and clearly communicate the plans within and outside of Ocado Technology
- Bringing together the product division delivery plan and tracking progress on stream objectives and commitments
- Set and drive a culture of innovation, and empower wider teams to deliver fast to accelerate learning
We'd like to hear from you if you can demonstrate:
- Evidence of influencing at senior leadership level.
- Experience in leading cutting edge Products across software and hardware domains
- Delivering focus with comparable breadth of scope, product domain, and impact
- Experience in a leadership role responsible for overall team delivery, budget and resources
- Strong technical / domain background in Product and Engineering leadership, with demonstrable experience working throughout the product lifecycle
- Consistent track record leading product and/or multi-skilled development teams at scale, across time-zones, to deliver quality products and achieve objectives
- Great stakeholder management and communication skills - able to represent the platform and their team in both technical and non-technical forums
- Mentoring of others to effectively support their career development
- Sufficient technical experience and understanding to be able to develop a roadmap for emergent technologies where the future capabilities are as influenced by the art of the possible as they are by what is needed by the business
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.#LI-ZB1