Senior Product Manager
San Francisco, CA
Carvana is on a mission to change the way people buy cars. We want to create the best car purchasing experience the planet...nay, the universe, has seen. On our way there, we’re disrupting an entire industry and making vehicle ownership accessible to more people than ever before.
The automotive retail industry is highly fragmented. When was the last time you heard that being 5% of the market could make you 5X bigger than the next alternative? Welcome to automotive. The sky is the limit.
To get there, we’ve been building a one-of-a-kind fully vertically integrated supply chain and retail experience to make buying a car as delightful and convenient as buying a box of diapers on Amazon. Pull out your phone, pick a car, and we’ll deliver it to you in a few days. To build that type of business we’ve been investing in infrastructure (reconditioning centers, car haulers, transportation facilities...oh, and giant vending machines) powered by sophisticated technology. And that’s not even what our customers see. On the other side is an ever evolving customer-facing set of product experiences no different than the world's largest e-tailers.
Our team is made up of battle-tested drivers hauling vehicles across the country, journeyman mechanics repairing cars, doctorates doing quantitative research, machine vision experts building new technologies and everything between. We are diversity at its core and we’re stronger because of it.
ABOUT THE TEAM AND POSITION…
Special Projects is a division of Carvana incubating new businesses. We’ve already built one billion dollar business and are on a path to building many more. The infrastructure we’ve built, the inventory we’ve accumulated, and the scale of our reach gives us an opportunity to unlock new businesses that either weren’t possible before or simply haven’t been attempted.
As a Product Manager on the Special Projects team, you’ll play a key role in shaping the products that power new business units. Your product is your business and you’ll need to think about the impact your products have not just on customer experience, but also how they’re powered by distributed operational and logistics teams. Think of it as taking your pure-tech PM skills to the next level.
We believe our experience is great because our people are great. Investing in our people is fundamental to building a great company and customer experience. Expect support and partnership from those around you. Many of our best leaders come from within.
We are looking for a Product Manager to lead an integrated team of developers and designers building new experiences for Carvana, our customers, and our strategic partners.
We need people who are comfortable starting new products and want to grow them into large businesses. You must be great at data, great working across teams, and laser focused on building a great customer experience. You are expected to help lead a team consisting of engineers, operations, partnerships, and more. We’re doing more than just asking people to install software, we’re building end-to-end businesses - from the ground up. That means you have to be willing to scale down and up alongside the needs of the business - from running SQL queries to cementing strategic partnerships.
- Develop and evangelize your team’s mission and objectives with both internal and external partners
- Build strong relationships with leaders across the company
- Take day-to-day ownership and execution responsibility for various product (and occasionally, non-product) initiatives
- Use qualitative and quantitative research and analysis methods to identify consumers’ frustrations and unmet needs and creatively identify product development opportunities
- Discover, develop, and share the team’s product vision and roadmap
- Own initiative shaping, scoping, and requirements drafting to enable effective engineering execution
- Write clear project briefs and detailed requirements to effectively communicate with the team and align all stakeholders around a common understanding of “what” and “why”
- Work with key stakeholders to estimate user impact, financial metrics, level of effort, and risks to guide critical prioritization decisions
- Creatively explore ways to speed up time-to-value, reduce risk, and increase pace of learning through prototyping, pilot testing and other forms of validation
- Track, analyze, interpret, and share results of product team initiatives to track progress against KPIs
- Engage team members individually and in small group settings in a way that builds trust, influence, and leaves people feeling good about working with you
- Bring a flexible, entrepreneurial, “whatever it takes” attitude to creating impact
- Live the Carvana values
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE...
- Minimum 5+ years experience in software product management
- Product experience at one or more highly successful companies
- Strong understanding of metrics
- Split-testing design and interpretation
- Great communication and collaboration skills
- Definitive design sensibility (your wireframes don’t make people laugh or cry)
- Open to feedback from all parts of the company
- A sense of humor – we don’t take ourselves too seriously and love to have fun
- Experience in a hyper-growth, more-than-just-software startup would be a big plus
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.