Head of Product Strategy
Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK
At Ocado Group, our mantra is “Always Way Ahead.” We are building the Ocado Smart Platform to be the leading end-to-end grocery solution, anywhere in the World, from both a consumer experience and operational economics perspective.
The Ocado Smart Platform (OSP) is an end-to-end online retail platform combining micro-service based software with modular and scalable hardware. It starts with users interacting with our grocery-specific front-end mobile application and web pages. It then brings together innovative technologies such as our automated warehouses, our highly efficient routing engines and our intelligent supply chain & forecasting systems to ensure users get the quality, price, and efficiency they deserve.
As Head of Product Strategy, you will report to the Chief Product Officer in the Solutions Org. You will be responsible for developing the product strategy and vision over 2-5 year timeframes to support the future growth of the Ocado Smart Platform worldwide. This includes defining the vision for the overall platform, identifying market trends in consumer behaviour and technology, and helping the Technology Org with prioritisation. You will work closely with the Product Marketing function to produce a marketing strategy and ensure adoption with OSP features. You will be responsible for leading and developing the Solutions Product Strategy team.
The core responsibilities for Head of Solutions Product Strategy role include:
Leadership: Lead from the front
- Recruit, motivate and lead the Solutions Product Strategy team
- Be part of the broader Solutions Product leadership team
Product Strategy: Define the strategy
- Own the 2-5 year vision and scope for the end-to-end platform
- Identify new market / product opportunities to consider investing resources in
Market Knowledge: Be knowledgeable about the Product needs
- To understand the customer (B2B users of the Ocado Smart Platform) as well as their customers (shoppers) needs.
- Be the voice of the market and augment the Ocado Solutions concepts and objectives with market research and competitor analysis.
- To investigate trends in consumer behaviour and technological advancements in order to continually refine the product vision and outline potential opportunities to build, buy or partner.
- To keep engaged with market developments and become a subject matter expert within it, by attending various conferences and meetings.
- Work interactively with the broader Solutions team and our partners in the Technology Org to define, create, document and vocalise clear and tangible business objectives.
- Validate Technology org’s product roadmap with internal and external stakeholders and the market need.
- Develop and communicate product vision externally along with product marketing
- Along with Product Marketing also responsible for market intelligence.
Collaboration: Proactive, Cross-functional, Iteration
- Work with Ocado Solutions customers, and our partners in Technology to understand their business challenges and requirements (legal and operational) to help form and or validate our mission.
- Lead client interactions, facilitating them where necessary for other Ocado teams.
Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Extensive experience setting product strategy and team leadership
- Strategy consulting experience
- Ability to create persuasive strategic narratives leveraging broad sources of data to be presented to senior leadership with recommended long-term actions
- Deep subject matter expertise in multichannel e-commerce with direct retail experience preferred
- An awareness & understanding of global emerging trends in e-commerce and supply chain
- Demonstrable creative problem-solving approach and strong analytical skills, combined with a strong sense of ownership and proactive can-do attitude
- Data analysis and excellent data-driven decision-making skills
- Loves collaborating and working in a matrix environment
- Ability to build trusting relationships with others, even when they do not agree
- Excellent communication skills at all levels of an organisation
- Has achieved stretching goals against the odds
- BA/BS degree in a technical field or equivalent practical experience
- International/Global experience preferred
- Track record of handling multiple stakeholders and streams of work
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Income Protection
- 25 days holiday
- 15% Ocado discount
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Please note that unfortunately we are unable to cover the cost of your visa at this time. We do cover the relevant company costs for visa sponsorship. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
We will always aim to respond to everyone who applies for one of our roles. Sometimes though we have a lot of applicants and it takes us a little while to get back to everyone. If you haven’t heard from us within two weeks of your application, then you should take it that you have not been successful on this occasion and accept our apologies that we didn’t manage to get back to you personally.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.