Technical Product Manager
Wayfair Data Engineering is the engine that powers our data-obsessed eCommerce enterprise. We move fast, iterating quickly on big business problems. We work smart, applying technology to unlock insights and provide outsized value to our customers. We swing big, knowing our customers won't benefit from micro-optimizations. Leveraging the largest data set for products sold in the Home space, this team treats data as an asset and determines how to maximize its business value and extend our competitive advantage.
As a Senior Product Manager, you are a strategic thinker who collaborates with senior leaders to drive the development of the Data Platform assets across Marketing, Storefront, and B2B. In this role, you will own and influence the long-term vision for what a world-class data platform looks like. You will build and prioritize a roadmap to get our data engineering teams to that ideal state, enabling critical decision-making by data consumers and algorithms. You will put mechanisms in place to ensure our teams deliver high-quality, scalable, and performant data models and pipelines. Your mission is to empower internal business and analytics teams to efficiently leverage the data platform, and push innovation to advance the data and analytics technology stack within Wayfair.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with leaders of functional areas (e.g., Marketing, Storefront, B2B) to develop complex analyses and innovative analytic solutions that lead to actionable insights that accelerate profitable growth
- Lead team(s) and develop best-in-class strategies and tactics that are grounded in data and insights.
- You will own your roadmap, maniacally measure performance, keep your pulse on the customer, anticipate bottlenecks, make tradeoffs, and take acceptable risks to maximize the benefit for our customer and business
- Leverage agile project management disciplines for planning and execution of data engineering projects, including design, prototyping, rapid iteration, development, testing and deployment
- Proactively identify areas where our data engineering, cloud data lake & advanced analytical efforts can produce a strong value add and incorporate them into the roadmap.
- Provide leadership on corporate initiatives by working with executives and acting as a thought partner with a cross-functional leadership team.
- Manage and mentor associates and leaders; ensure the team is being challenged, exposed to new opportunities, and learning, while still being able to deliver on ambitious goals.
- Guide and provide feedback on prototype development by Data Engineers, be a trusted source of data and insights for the business.
- Keep current on big data and data visualization technology trends
Who You Are
- 7+ years of product management experience for data engineering or analytics teams in an Agile development environment, ideally with exposure to a relevant product area (eCommerce; Advertising-tech; Marketing-tech; site development)
- Strong business acumen, analytical skills and technical abilities along with problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated success influencing senior level stakeholders on strategic direction based on recommendations backed by in-depth analysis
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Experience designing and implementing highly visible, complex, and innovative analytical solutions
- Experience mentoring and developing a team of technically savvy analysts and engineers.
- Entrepreneurial mindset, with a bias for action and ability to deal with ambiguity and rapidly changing environments
- Experience with SQL (incl. Aggregate functions, joins, etc.) or structured computer programming language(s) (e.g. Python, Java, R, SAS)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, with strong technical and product background in data engineering
What we’d love to see (but isn’t required)
- Ecommerce or retail analytics experience a strong plus
- Experienced working with cloud platforms such as Google Cloud Platform (preferred), AWS, Azure, or Snowflake at scale.
- Experience working with database management systems (such as Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server) and analytical technologies in the industry including MPP (Vertica, Teradata, Redshift) and NoSQL databases (such as Cassandra, MongoDB, Redis, Aerospike).
- Experience with one or more relevant tools (Sqoop, Flume, Kafka, Avro, Parquet) and SQL-on-Hadoop technology (Hive, Spark SQL, Presto)
- Experience with real-time data streaming tools like Kafka, Kinesis, Apache Storm or any similar tools.
- Experience in development of custom built BI and big data reporting solutions using tools like DataStudio, Looker, Tableau, AtScale, PowerBI, Qlik, or any similar tools.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.