Director of Product Design
San Francisco, CA (HQ) & Remote: CA, IL, MI, NY, PA, TX, CO, WA, UT, OR
Lob’s mission is to build APIs for businesses to increase the connectivity between the offline and online worlds. With software transforming the way companies and people interact at an ever-accelerating rate, merging the offline and online worlds has become more important than ever.
As a Director of Design, you will build the design team, systems, and vision that will help Lob achieve our product vision and scale our product development to new levels of creativity and velocity. Our product/design team values are: focus on customer impact, ruthless prioritization, staying curious, building bridges and failing fast.
We are looking for someone who can thrive in a fast-paced, uncertain environment with a great set of colleagues.
As Director of Design, you’ll...
- Work with the VP of Product, Director of Product and colleagues to drive design strategy and definition
- Work closely with product and engineering to deliver delightful user experiences
- Partner with Marketing to maintain brand consistency between our private and public-facing designs
- Manage, recruit and develop the growing product design and user researcher team. You’ll be responsible for building diverse, inclusive teams, where everyone feels comfortable and safe being themselves at work.
- Articulate and validate your design strategy and vision both internally with leaders and externally with customers and partners
- Be a coach, thought partner, and sounding board: “Coach, don’t tell.” You will help your team build problem-solving skills by practicing reflective listening, asking good questions, and giving timely direct, and kind feedback and encouragement.
- Work with the team to develop metrics for your function that represent their work and contributions.
For this role, we’re looking for...
- 10+ years of design/user research experience at world-class organizations
- 5+ years of managing and leading teams. We’ll want to hear how your reports developed and grew under your leadership, and how you made your work inclusive and psychologically safe.
- Proven ability to motivate, lead, and collaborate with product, engineering and other cross-functional teams
- Good written and oral communication skills, with an ability to handle both executive-level discussions and functional deep dives with product and engineering
- Solid problem-solving abilities, bias to action, an attention to detail, and a collaborative attitude
- Deep understanding of visual design principles and concepts, including icon design, typography, color theory, accessibility, aesthetics, proportionality, layout fundamentals and information design
Our team loves working at Lob because...
- Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable. Our business model is incredibly sustainable and Lob has thousands of customers ranging from startups to Fortune 100 companies. Venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, we have the funding to invest in fast growth
- We are a small but dynamic and passionate team headquartered in San Francisco, with team members throughout the US. We give our employees a lot of responsibility and ownership of their work. You will have fun at work while engaging in challenging projects.
- Comprehensive health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Healthcare Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid parental leave
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Employee Assistance Program and free professional coaching sessions
- Wellness program (includes monthly stipend or free Barry’s Bootcamp classes!)
- Virtual social events
We are committed to the health and safety of our employees and will not require employees (unless they are serving an essential function) to be in the office until a vaccine is widely available.
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
Forbes 30 Under 30 - Enterprise Technology 2017
#61 on Y Combinator's Top Companies List 2018
#26 2018 Fastest-Growing Private Companies, The Business Journals