Data Product Manager
Washington, DC or San Francisco, CA
Whether it comes to understanding how your state voted in the recent presidential election, or mapping covid vaccine distribution in your neighborhood or understanding the path of a hurricane while planning your next roadtrip, maps are essential to our understanding of the world. Maps constantly evolve based on new learnings from millions of sensors and crowdsourced data. And search is the starting point for customers to engage with the map. Mapbox powers grocery orders on Instacart, tracks your personal best mile on Strava, tag photos with your dog on Snap, and thousands of other day to day experiences. Mapbox is the goto developer platform for building location based services that reach more than ~600 million active users every single day.
What You’ll Do
- Partnership. You get to partner with product, engineering, design & key stakeholders to help drive key search decisions that influence the business.
- Data informed mindset: You believe in the value of data informed decision making and strive to measure things that are not straight forward but essential. You also have the right instincts to make speedy decisions in the absence of perfect & comprehensive data.
- Customer focus. You care deeply about your customers and their problems, and you work tirelessly to innovate on their behalf.
- Business development: Construct key partnerships with data providers that helps unlock new use cases and feature development.
- Growth mindset: Have the humility to accept mistakes, learn and grow from them.
- Strong written and vocal communication skills. You can talk and write about complex ideas concisely to a wide audience.
- Operational excellence: You drive a culture of quality and continuous improvement in your organization
- High standards for work. You drive a culture of quality on the teams you work with and know how to drive healthy tension between quality and velocity.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
Experiences can vary widely for this role. We can see folks with a past in data procurement or data partnership who already know the space as a good fit, but we also love bringing on new fresh perspectives. We can see folks looking to transition to product from a paralegal or lawyer role who would bring strong critical thinking and contract and negotiation skills, or people who love business modeling and finance and live in spreadsheets bring great analytics, or from more traditional business development and partnership roles who love being in the details of data. We’re open to people that are inherently curious, want to know how it all works, and sweats the details. A few key experiences we’re looking for:
- Customer empathy and curiosity about what problems your work solves for your users
- An analytical approach: you have data &/or financial modeling skills, you use data to properly evaluate the success or failure of features, as well as guide your next steps.
- Ambiguity and independence: You can weed out what’s important in highly ambiguous spaces, and juggle a variety of competing priorities. Even so, you are autonomous and proactive around driving solutions to completion.
- Ability to create and maintain multifaceted relationships and business plans with key partners to build and negotiate creative data acquisition deals that offer maximum long term benefits
What We Value
- We value high performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We value transparent, in-depth communication. Strong culture of open debate, decide, and commit. We value deep understanding of problems and solving them at the root.
- We value the spirit of entrepreneurship, action-orientation, and fast moving ethos.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity