Lead UX Designer - Fall Guys
London, England, United Kingdom
Tonic Games brings together a family of world-class developers who believe that games are for everyone. Part of the Epic Games family, we’re a global, inclusive, creative group who want to have a positive impact: both in the way that we make games, and with the games that we make.
We continue to build on our ambitions and projects, as such we are looking for a talented Lead UX Designer to join our team, helping us make Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout the best possible experience for our players, and also growing and mentoring the existing UX team in the studio, reaching across projects and disciplines to drive accessibility and excellence in everything we do.
Mediatonic is a BAFTA-nominated game developer behind massively multiplayer mayhem Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout. We delight in connecting people through original, joyful, and long-lasting game experiences, as well as breaking the mold with weird and wonderful games across every platform.
As a Lead UX Designer, you deliver best-in-class, exemplary work when assigned to projects, and use your experience to support all other UX designers and initiatives within the studio. Whether attached to a specific team or supporting across multiple projects - the Lead UX Designer always has one eye on the bigger picture, seeking ways to grow the skills of the entire UX team.
Research and Identify
- Lead UX meetings and workshops to capture business requirements
- Troubleshoot live products and design enhancements to reduce friction for users
- Facilitate focus groups to determine player needs
- Undertake competitor UX research, heuristic evaluations on internal and competitor UX, expert UX reviews, and audits
- Work with technical delivery teams to solve technical and logistical issues with UI
Design and Communicate Solutions
- Translate design documents and/or creative conversations into UX actions
- Create personas, user journeys, and experience maps
- Design information architecture, site maps, app maps, etc
- Propose a range of creative conceptual ideas for UX
- Create sketches and storyboards to visualize UX solutions
- Execute detailed wireframes and create prototypes
- Validate ideas and designs through user testing
- Collaborate with artists and engineers to translate UX designs into wonderful experiences
Manage and Inspire Teams
- Drive new initiatives in the studio (talks, extra-curricular activities) and are an evangelist for UX design
- Line-manage existing team of UX Designers – taking responsibility for the culture and wellbeing of the team
- Identify skill-gaps and development opportunities for the UX designers under your purview, raising training/mentoring opportunities where appropriate
- Be keen to share your knowledge of the craft, and able to articulate the theory behind your decisions and mentor more junior UX Designers
- Drive UX excellence for the games we develop
Our ideal candidate will have advanced skills in design software such as Photoshop & Illustrator as well as a strong portfolio of User Interface and Application designs (ideally for mobile or console games).
- Prior experience working on console game titles (mobile experience is a plus)
- In-depth knowledge of UI and UX principles
- A creative leader with excellent communication skills
- An exceptional eye for detail and quality
- Experience with creating and delivering user experience projects
- Experience contributing to proposals in ideation and concept design
- Good working knowledge of wireframing tools
- Experience in prototyping tools
- A proactive, can-do attitude An enthusiastic and demonstrable understanding of the science of User Experience and User-Centred Design
- Well versed in user experience methodologies and their applications
- An understanding of visual syntax - color, shape, placement, motion, behaviors, etc
- An understanding of mobile gaming challenges and can identify best-in-class UX examples
- Ability to articulate the work - verbal, written, and visual presentation skills
Want to work for us?
Are you interested in joining a business that strives to create moments that matter, for millions of players, in games that run for years? Does the idea of working together with a friendly team of Tonics towards the common goal appeal to you?
As a creative business, we recognize that creativity is best inspired by different experiences and perspectives and we strive to create a culture of belonging, where all our colleagues feel welcome and diversity is celebrated. As we push towards ever more ambitious and high-quality titles, we are looking for the finest talent in the industry to come and join us on our quest.
We not only offer you the chance to work with fantastic teams, on awesome and inspiring projects, we also offer competitive salaries, flexible working hours including up to 3 x remote days weekly, and private health care.
How to apply & really impress us
As a people-first company, our biggest priority is to hire the right person. A cover letter that tells us a bit about you and what you’re passionate about really helps to get our attention and distinguish your application from the crowd.
Successful applications will usually have a phone chat before being invited to a full interview. If you are applying for a creative role, remember a portfolio is essential. For all applications, we suggest you read the job description carefully and let us know why you believe you’re the right person to take on this job. We look forward to hearing from you.
We receive heap loads of applications, and while we do our best to respond, we can't always guarantee this.