Associate Product Manager
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
About the Consumer Products Team
The Consumer Products team is at the forefront of building out sustainable new business lines focused on generating revenue directly from our relationship with readers. The team is looking for a Product Manager to partner with other Product Managers to manage our subscription and membership offerings. Goals include driving the evolution of New York Magazine’s subscription business, and assisting in the expansion of subscription and membership opportunities across Vox Media networks.
Product Managers work on cross-functional teams with product designers and dedicated developers both in the office and remotely. We’re looking for strategic thinkers who are also ready to roll up their sleeves and help with QA, wireframes, project management, and user research. Our product managers are obsessively focused on getting to know our readers and their behavior through analyzing data, interviewing users, and running usability tests. Most importantly, they can effectively bring these insights back to their team and the company at large so the business can make smart decisions about where to focus. The best product managers are enthusiastic about Vox Media’s journalism and products -- we want you to enjoy what you do!
What You’ll Do
- Provide product support on a cross-functional team responsible for Vox Media’s consumer revenue businesses, with a focus on New York Magazine’s subscription offering and the Vox Contributions program.
- Work closely with designers, engineers, analysts, community managers, and consumer marketing teams to deliver a seamless experience that drives new subscriptions, and retains our existing subscribers.
- Support a culture of experimentation and iteration to identify what works in the burgeoning subscription market.
- Apply data and user research to inform new product features and improvements.
- Develop and socialize product roadmaps aligned with organizational priorities and available resources, and work with developers and designers to execute.
- Lead training for staff on new products you create, and create and maintain product documentation.
- Communicate regularly with stakeholders and executives on project status, needs, and milestones.
What You’ll Bring
- Minimum of two years of experience working with digital products; experience in media and/or supporting a subscription product a plus, but not required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Interest in developing project management skills, including building timelines and roadmaps, resource allocation, and stakeholder communication.
- Interest in data management and analytics and willingness to grow these skills.
- General curiosity about how things work; you don’t need to understand it all off the bat, but you want to figure it out.
- Familiar with technical concepts and design methodologies, willing to learn about emerging tech and product processes, and able to brainstorm with designers and engineers.
- Ability to break complex concepts down into simple, actionable steps for your team
- Good listener, clear communicator, passionate advocate for your products, and comfortable managing differences of opinion. People trust you and enjoy working with you.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.