Product Designer - Messaging
San Francisco, CA
Posted 2 weeks ago
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Product Designer to design our customer experiences for our growing Messaging product suite.
In this role, you will collaborate with multidisciplinary teams to discover, define, and design experiences that give developers and businesses around the world the ability to create communication applications. The ideal candidate will be a designer who takes a holistic, human-centered approach to design, an advocate of our customer-informed process, and a supporter and active contributor to our inclusive-by-default Design System.
Twilio is seeking a Product Designer who:
- Has a proven user-centered design workflow that comprises: design, prototyping, presentation, sharing and soliciting feedback, influencing key decision making, and collaborative handoffs with developers.
- Can share a portfolio with beautiful, usable, straightforward, and lovable designs that demonstrates technical product thinking and an understanding of user-centered design methodologies.
- Has a demonstrated advocacy for design and research methodologies, and has experience running quantitative and qualitative research, such as usability testing, analysis, interviews, and field studies.
- Holds a passion for feedback and the ability to provide useful and constructive feedback to peers of all levels.
- Experience designing and evolving enterprise application software in a fast-past environment.
- 4+ years of industry experience and a related degree or equivalent experience in software interface design and/or development.
As a Designer on the Messaging team, you will live our Twilio Values, and be able to:
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES & WRITE IT DOWN: Engage with our developer community to understand their needs, and design products and workflows to unlock their potential. Articulate the customer problem and success metrics, and gain alignment with stakeholders on your approach to testing, learning, and iterating on a solution.
- BE AN OWNER: Own and advance the vision for Twilio’s Messaging products, across multiple platforms (desktop, mobile, responsive web). Take personal accountability for achievement of goals and results, and coach members to ensure goals are met.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Work closely with Product and Engineering teams, in an agile environment, to solve the most important customer problems effectively and efficiently.
- DON’T SETTLE: Collaborate with other Product Designers in elevating our standards. Participate in Design Critiques to ensure consistency across Twilio products. Advocate for more efficient processes and higher standards across the UX organization.
NO SHENANIGANS & BE INCLUSIVE: Remain open, transparent, and inclusive while sharing work at various stages of the process, proactively inviting diverse (and potentially contrary) inputs in your design process. Remain humble while asking for and providing useful and constructive feedback to peers of all levels.
Consumers have spoken, and the overwhelming majority prefer to use messaging to communicate, whether it’s via SMS, chat, or using apps like Facebook Messenger or Line. These emerging communication channels pose significant challenges to businesses as they begin to adopt this growing trend of always-on, multi-channel, asynchronous communication. In this role, you will observe these challenges first hand and design the next generation of Messaging APIs and products to overcome them and make our customers successful.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. The Product Design team plays a critical role in designing the experience that allows our developer community to meet their communication needs. As a Product Designer at Twilio, you will be a part of a growing and diverse group of designers, helping to build and shape our design culture and principles.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located in our beautiful office at 375 Beale Street in San Francisco. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks and drinks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday Night dinners, monthly All Hands and more.
You will also be part of a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life; that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, and can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.