Lead UX Researcher
San Francisco, CA
Faire is an online wholesale marketplace built on the belief that the future is local — there are over 1M independent retailers in the U.S. and Canada doing more than twice the revenue of Walmart and Amazon combined. At Faire, we're using the power of tech, data, and machine learning to connect a thriving community of over 150,000 local retailers and 15,000 brands around the world. Picture your favorite boutique in town — we help them discover the best products to sell in their stores. With the right tools and insights, we believe that we can level the playing field so that small businesses can compete with these big box and ecommerce giants. We’re looking for smart, resourceful and passionate people to join us as we power the shop local
About this role:
Faire is a company invested in good design—as a Lead UX Researcher, you’ll join a tight-knit, collaborative Design team that cares deeply about Faire’s customers and ensuring they have great experiences. Our team is at the center of user experience at Faire, improving our product for the thousands of independent retailers and brands growing their businesses in our marketplace.
In this role, you’ll help shape Faire’s product, working with team members across content design, product design, engineering, product management, marketing, and customer service. You'll work across product teams to enrich existing research activities and lead new research projects to deepen our understanding of independent retailers and brands. As a founding research team member, you’ll be an integral part of developing the culture and practice of research at Faire.
We’re looking for team members that excel at informing and influencing product development, come with a growth mindset, and bring a genuine desire to learn and help others learn about our customers.
As a Lead UX Researcher, you will:
- Collaborate with partners across design, product, and engineering to deliver insights that allow them to define and build products and features that are valuable to our customers
- Conduct evaluative and generative research across Faire products and effectively communicate insights to inform strategic and product decisions
- Develop and deliver clear and actionable data-driven insights and narratives
- Contribute strategic thinking at the product, marketing, and company level
- Mentor and support cross-functional team members research activities
- Contribute to and positively shape Faire’s culture through collaboration, feedback, and proactive participation
- You’re a trained researcher and have an advanced degree in a field related to UX research (e.g. HCI, Psychology, Sociology, etc.) or an equivalent form of relevant research training.
- 6+ years of experience researching digital products and systems. You have a breadth of knowledge about UX research, from methods to effective storytelling
- Great communication skills. You present research insights and recommendations clearly and confidently, regardless of audience.
- A collaborative approach. You’re a great partner to others and your cross-functional teammates.
- A growth mindset. You’re open and receptive to feedback and can adapt quickly in a fast-paced environment.
- A product-centric researcher. You think about the value of research in terms of product development and outcomes.
Why you’ll love working at Faire:
- We are entrepreneurs: We believe entrepreneurship is a calling and our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to chase their dreams. Every member of our team is an owner of the business and taking part in the founding process.
- We are using tech and machine learning to level the playing field: We are using the power of technology and data to connect brands and boutiques from all over the world, building a thriving community of over 100,000 small business owners.
- We build products our customers love: Everything we do is ultimately in the service of helping our customers grow their business because our goal is to grow the pie - not steal a piece from it. Running a small business is hard work, but using Faire makes it easy.
- We are curious and resourceful: We always find a way to get the job done and come up with creative solutions to whatever problems are standing in our way. People at Faire are insatiably curious. We lead with curiosity and data in our decision making and reason from a first principles mindset.
Faire was founded in 2017 by a team of early product and engineering leads from Square. We’re backed by some of the top investors in retail and tech including: Y Combinator, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Forerunner Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Sequoia Capital, Founders Fund, and DST Global. We have offices in San Francisco, Kitchener-Waterloo, and Salt Lake City. We’re looking for smart, resourceful and passionate people to join us as we power the shop local movement. To learn more about Faire and our customers, you can read more on our blog.
Faire is being built for entrepreneurs, by entrepreneurs.
We value candidates that bring a range of experience from different industries and a variety of creative influences. If you’re a maker or retailer yourself and can bring first-hand experience and empathy for the small business and entrepreneurial journey, tell us your story!