Senior Product Marketing Manager, USG
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
We are seeking a driven and industry-savvy marketing and communications professional to join Planet as Senior Product/Solutions Marketing Manager to support the go-to-market strategy for our business with the US Federal Government (USG). . In collaboration with the team in our subsidiary, Planet Federal, and the Planet Marketing/Communications teams, you will be responsible for developing and executing a marketing strategy and identifying opportunities to capture USG market share based on Planet's existing, planned, and forecasted products.
Planet Federal’s business opportunities include multiple federal civilian agencies and the national intelligence and defense communities with varying requirements for satellite imagery and remote sensing products. Potential USG customers are those within the Department of Defense, the Intelligence Community, NASA, NOAA, USGS, FEMA (including DHS) and others.
This role is a combination of product marketing, communications, and market evangelism. You must deeply understand this market and have experience in selling or marketing to the USG. An attention to detail and an eye for quality are critical to your success, along with an ability to grasp and present our product’s value propositions to these organizations in a way that resonates and clearly articulates how we solve the unique problems of the USG and provide the content that accelerates the buying processes.
The Sr Product Marketing Manager will:
- Be a strategic thinker and problem solver who can develop and lead Planet’s USG marketing and communications strategy, partnering closely with both the Planet Federal team and the Planet Marketing/Communications teams with an ability to leverage the Planet Marketing teams’ overall plans, content and process.
- Understand the challenges and use cases that are core to the USG market, and build internal and external content that communicates them. Materials could take the form of sales presentations, white papers, briefs, blog posts, op-eds, one-pagers and think tank articles.
- Develop the positioning & messaging to differentiate our solutions from the competition.
- Work with the Planet communications team to conduct proactive and reactive media relations supporting company objectives, including corporate news/issues and thought leadership, customer announcements, and product launches.
- Develop and execute on a plan that leverages all appropriate marketing and communications team tactics to launch new products.
- Evangelize Planet’s value proposition across USG audiences at events, meet-ups, and other networking opportunities.
- Partner with Customer Marketing and Success teams to identify and document customer references.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Based in Planet Federal’s Washington, DC office
- At least 5+ years of work in the government space
- Stellar communication and storytelling skills, both written and oral
- Strong analytical skills and ability to tie discrete activities to larger strategy
- Demonstrated leadership skills, technical aptitude and business acumen
- Must have demonstrated effective collaboration in matrixed or highly cross-functional business settings.
Nice to Have
- Experience with marketing to/for GSA schedules
- Experience working at PR, Public Affairs, or marketing agencies
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.#LI-DD1