Senior Product Manager
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
About the Role
Vox Media is investing in building more direct relationships with our users so that we can create content, products, and services that better meet their needs. We’re looking for a seasoned Product Manager who can lead the effort to identify and engage our users through the development of services like registration, authentication, account management, and a first-party data strategy across Vox Media’s full portfolio. You’ll partner with leaders across multiple teams including consumer revenue, analytics & data, and advertising to build a strategy and roadmap for increasing our number of known users across Vox Media’s properties and providing them with a best-in-class experience. The ideal candidate will have experience building strategies and products based around the ethical gathering and use of user data. They’ll demonstrate a proven ability to move from strategy and conception to roadmapping and execution, and help build a product team from the ground up to get things done.
What You’ll Do
- Help to build and lead an identity-focused product team with the goal of converting the Vox Media audience to known users in a centralized, coordinated way
- Develop models to help Vox Media deepen our understanding of and connection to our audience, and drive loyalty and registration
- In collaboration with colleagues across analytics and data, consumer revenue, and advertising teams, decide how to collect, organize, and store user data, and build the infrastructure to enable it
- Coordinate sign-in, authentication, and profile management across multiple sites and services, including our websites, apps, and commenting tools.
- Support a culture of experimentation and iteration to identify the best ways to gather and leverage user insights across our marketing, advertising, and subscription efforts
- Apply data and user research to inform new product features and improvements.
- Develop and socialize our first-party data strategy and product roadmaps to implement it.
- Communicate regularly with stakeholders and executives on project status, needs, and milestones.
What You’ll Bring
- Minimum of five years of hands-on product experience, with the ability to both develop product strategies and lead execution day-to-day.
- Strong organizational skills, including building timelines and roadmaps, setting priorities, and communicating clearly with stakeholders.
- Comfort working with stakeholders and other product partners to identify both immediate roadmap priorities, and opportunities to improve systems long-term
- Preferred, not required, experience working with user data and a clear understanding of privacy regulations and expectations, including GDPR, CCPA, etc.
- A proven ability to turn complex problems into clear and compelling solutions
- Comfort using both data and user research to understand user needs, and build products that real people use and love
- Ability to break complex concepts down into simple, actionable steps for your team.
- Enjoyment of working across both functional and business lines, and collaborating with colleagues and stakeholders with a variety of specialities
- Good listener, clear communicator, passionate advocate for your products, and comfortable managing differences of opinion. People trust you and enjoy working with you.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.