Senior Product Analyst, Search & Ranking
Remote, United States
Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Analytics Team
The Analytics team empowers Thumbtack to use data to guide business decisions. We collaborate with partners across the company to solve the most analytically challenging problems -- everything from how we set prices across hundreds of local services categories, to evaluating the impact of a new business model on company performance, to identifying early predictors of high-quality customers. We are a tight-knit, intellectually curious team that is committed to improving Thumbtack and improving each other.
Team members’ personal and professional development is a priority for us. We have a solid track record of growing team members into more senior responsibilities in analytics, as well as preparing them for diverse roles across product, data science, and marketing.
About the Role
Do you want to reinvent how a large piece of the local economy works? If so, we're looking for a Product Analyst on our Matching product development team. Matching is responsible for optimally matching customers and pros through search, ranking, and other mechanics. It is one of the most analytical teams at Thumbtack, owning one of our most complex problem spaces, and it is at the core of our company mission to connect great customers with great pros.
As a Product Analyst on Matching, you will help optimize our ranking machine learning algorithms, build an engaging search experience, define new matching mechanics, and balance supply and demand to grow our marketplace. You will embed directly with Matching -- a group of highly collaborative, engaged, and analytical Engineers, Data Scientists, and other cross-functional partners.
- Influence product strategy by proposing and executing on analytical research on matching, search, and ranking
- Improve our search and ranking algorithms through feature exploration, response variable definition, and testing, in collaboration with Data Science and Engineering
- Design and analyze A/B tests, market-based tests, etc. and conduct other forms of causal inference, to help us rigorously learn about our millions of users
- Design new features and inform the product roadmap through analysis, e.g., help define matching mechanics and ranking behavior for new Thumbtack product lines
- Define and analyze key metrics to inform decision-making and measure success
- Contribute to our team and company data culture through accessible data table design and maintenance
- Collaborate with, mentor, and help recruit team members
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 4+ years of analytics/data science experience
- Passion for problem-solving, critical thinking, and data
- Sharp business judgement and the ability to see past the noise
- Strong communicator, attentive listener, and compelling explainer
- Proficient in one of Python, R, or Stata
- Expert in SQL
- Familiarity with basic statistical, machine learning, and econometric concepts, e.g., power analysis, linear regression, etc.
- Experience in relevant tech companies, e.g., consumer-facing or marketplace
- Experience in an analytical environment outside of analytics, e.g., management consulting
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in statistics, math, or economics
- Familiarity with advanced statistical, machine learning, and econometric concepts, e.g., fixed effects models, decision trees, SVMs, etc.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.