Product Designer, Charts
The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $106B+ by 2024!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
MongoDB Charts is the quickest, easiest, and most powerful way to visualise MongoDB data for real-time insights, business intelligence, and embedded analytics. It is a key product within MongoDB’s Cloud platform, and has achieved steady growth and satisfied users since its general release in 2019. The MongoDB Charts product is completely designed and built in Sydney, Australia.
We are seeking a Mid-level Product Designer who is passionate about creating simple, friction-free data visualisation experiences. You will be responsible for designing the user experience for MongoDB Charts. This is a multidisciplinary design role which requires user research, prototyping, interaction design, and visual design skills.
The Ideal Candidate
- You have an interest in data, data visualisation or analytics
- You have 2+ years working experience designing for digital products and producing a variety of user-centered, design deliverables
- You may still consider yourself learning the required disciplines, though you will have gained enough experience to practice them independently and seek feedback when required
- You enjoy discovering, defining, designing with and advocating for user needs
- You have worked closely with product managers and engineers, either consulting with them or have been embedded in agile software development teams
- You have asked for and received feedback, and are beginning to see your strengths in craft and execution
- You are curious about and interested in designing solutions for developers, analysts and administrators in a technical domain
You will be embedded in the MongoDB Charts team. The Charts team is a fun, kind and supportive product development team. You will work closely with product managers, program managers, engineers and designers. And work alongside your design manager who is also in the Charts team. You will communicate and collaborate in-person and remotely with Australian team members, and asynchronously with American and European colleagues.
In this role you will:
- Be comfortable with medium to large, well-scoped projects and can augment requirements with outcomes focussed on customers
- Understand and apply user research methods and identify gaps in existing user research
- Articulate solid rationale for all design decisions clearly to team members and from the perspective of the user and their needs
- Understand leading principles of layout, typography, color theory, and visual hierarchy and apply them appropriately for different contexts
- Demonstrate proficiency in and understanding of information architecture, multi-step and cross-platform journeys in your work
- Consistently consider uncommon states (happy paths, errors, dead-ends etc.) in your work
- Use design tools (Figma, Miro, Google Workspace etc.) and the MongoDB design system effectively
- Proactively seek to understand different perspectives and technical subject matter
- Discover other team member’s points-of-view and be comfortable negotiating to find common ground
- Understand the user’s needs and the Charts team’s goals, and how your actions impact both
- Take part in Charts team and design organisation events
- Join a happy and healthy product development team who practice lean and agile principles, value building together and continuously learning and growing
- Discover, design, build and release features for a scaling software product in the data and analytics space
- Share your unique background, experience and skills, and contribute to the design organisation
- Work for an American company who cares about the employee experience in Australia, and who provides the autonomy to do good work
How to Apply
As part of your application, please provide a cover letter letting us know about your experience and why you think you'd be a great fit for the position, along with your resume and link to your design portfolio.
Here is what we will look for in the design portfolio:
- Design deliverables
- Breadth and depth of work
- The process undertaken
- Roles and responsibilities
- Results and outcomes
- What you learned
We will review your application, and we will contact you if we think you might be a good fit.
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world.
MongoDB is an equal opportunities employer.