Director of Research, User Experience
Bellevue, WA or San Francisco, CA
Design the products that power global trade
Flexport’s mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. To achieve this goal, the Flexport User Experience (UX) team creates end-to-end experiences for our clients, partners, and operations teams. We are seeking a Research leader to elevate our user research practice and drive product innovation by building a deep understanding of users' problems and turn research into actionable insights that drive decision making. This individual enjoys solving challenging problems and empowering the team to move forward by developing metrics, measuring results, and integrating new methodologies into existing systems. As a key stakeholder in the product development process, much collaboration will be required with Senior Leadership and the broader UX team. To be successful, this leader must be relentlessly curious, methodical, communicate clearly, and consistently balance user and business needs. Join us as we lay the foundation of our vision for global trade.
As a Research Director, you will develop our company-wide research program and bring research best practices to our team, helping to improve our research quality and processes. Your work will help inform our product strategy and roadmap, and ensure that we are always designing experiences with our customers' needs in mind. You will work on products that serve users around the world.
- Work with Product and Design leaders to develop a Research program to inform product strategy and help improve our overall user experience.
- Be a strong partner to Product, Engineering, Design, Data and Business leaders.
- Plan and coordinate research work across multiple product areas.
- Align team priorities and deliverables to the company’s overall strategic goals.
- Develop your team members’ technical and leadership skills.
- Ensure a high quality bar for research output and deliverables.
- Share knowledge about User Research processes and tools across the organization.
- Be a strong advocate for user research at the senior leadership level.
- Increase the impact of research through strong advocacy and education.
- Help your team build deep domain knowledge and empathy for end users.
- Hire, coach, and mentor excellent user researchers.
- Drive Flexport’s research practice, culture, and processes.
You should have:
- 10+ years of professional experience, 5+ years of which is in management.
- Extensive experience with all aspects of user research (study design, recruiting, moderation, analysis, storytelling)
- Excellent communication, presentation, social, and analytical skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization
- Practical knowledge of statistics, especially survey sampling and experimental design
- Built a team of 5 or more and managed senior researchers
- Experience managing geographically distributed teams is a plus.
- Masters or Ph.D. in Human-Computer Interaction, Statistics, Sociology, Psychology, Anthropology or related field, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience working with SaaS and enterprise products
- Experience conducting quantitative research or statistical analysis
We believe trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers and their logistics partners with the technology and services to grow and innovate. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.