(Staff) Product Manager - IoT
Cambridge or London, United Kingdom
Posted 1 week ago
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
The Internet of Things represents a massive opportunity but for most companies it’s a prohibitively complex cross-functional engineering challenge. To date, IoT has lacked a ‘breakout’ platform that democratizes access to the market in a meaningful way. Twilio IoT is setting out to build a platform that truly understands the end-to-end challenges of IoT builders: from physical design to manufacturing to embedded software to ongoing connectivity. As a Product Manager in Twilio’s IoT & Wireless BU, it’s your job to identify, quantify and deliver solutions to the friction experienced by present and future IoT builders. You’ll measure and iterate on those solutions until Twilio emerges as the breakout IoT platform.
Twilio is looking for an ideal candidate with the following:
- Experience imagining and delivering solutions in both Cloud and embedded/device environments. This combination of experience is critical to our customers’ success.
- Experienced at measuring and iterating on a live ‘production’ solution, ideally in a high availability multi-tenant cloud environment with thousands of customers.
- Purpose-driven empathy. You can articulate the challenges facing IoT developers today, and identify which of these challenges would likely be considered strategic vs non-strategic in the customer’s eyes. Which problems would the customer prefer to be solved by infrastructural platforms? How do you make the customer the hero of the story?
- Strong opinions, weakly held. You should have a strong opinion on exactly how the IoT industry will play out in the next decade. You should be excited to adjust that opinion when customers, competitors and colleagues present data that is inconsistent with your worldview.
As Product Manager, you will live the Twilio Magic:
- BE AN OWNER: Own the roadmap for a line of new IoT-centric products.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER'S SHOES: Refine the end-to-end customer experience of discovering, understanding, evaluating, purchasing and operating your product.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Facilitate the cross-functional collaboration required to deliver, promote, sell and support your product.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Think big and have a plan to get there. Modest product success is not interesting, but cloud products tend to achieve massive adoption through multiple useful iterations. You’ll draw the map to the promised land, and then you’ll guide the team and our customers to get there.
- DON'T SETTLE: Do everything in your power to increase the likelihood of product success. Ensure that the entire organization learns from the setbacks and failures that occur along the way. Ensure the data the team needs to constantly evaluate progress and make investment decisions is available to whoever needs it.
You will largely determine your own travel schedule. With engineering teams on three continents, customers all over the world, and GTM leadership in the USA, you should expect to travel as you see necessary to improve your odds of building successful products. Twilio Product Managers tend to travel less than 10% during business as usual, but much more during critical periods.
You want your mission to be in IoT, and you’re looking for a company with the agility of a startup but the credibility and scale required to attack this multi-faceted, often partner-centric industry. Twilio has a proven IoT revenue model and fast-growing IoT products. That means real customers, real social impact, and a real chance to make a difference.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This role is based in the UK, with a preference for London or Cambridge.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.