Product Marketing Manager

San Francisco, CA, USA

Slack logo
Apply now

Posted 2 weeks ago

Slack is seeking outstanding product marketer to join our platform marketing team to help convey the value of Slack’s platform for our customers and prospects.

Slack is a channel-based messaging platform. What do we mean by “platform”? At Slack our mission is to make people’s working lives simpler, more cheerful, and more productive – and our users are at the heart of everything we do and build at Slack. And a key part of Slack’s value to our customers is our open platform that allows 3rd-party tools and services from more than 2,000 providers such as Atlassian, AWS, Google, Microsoft, Salesforce, Workday, and Zoom to integrate deeply with Slack.

These integrations lessen the time and effort it takes for teams to get work done. As our CEO Stewart Butterfield said in July 2019, we want Slack “to be the 2% of your software budget that is a multiplier on the other 98% of your budget.”

For our platform to continue adding more value Slack customers -- especially as our users primarily come from non-technical roles -- ensure the way users interact with 3rd party tools inside of Slack is intuitive, simple, and helpful.

The primary focus of this role is to understand user needs, understand the power of our platform, and bring the two together to increase the usage of apps. In particular, we need to illustrate the benefits of the apps support specific departments and roles, such as for CRM, HR, marketing, customer support, and tech & dev. The 2,000+ third-party apps can be found on our Slack App Directory.

You’ll lead how we communicate how these departmental apps deliver value to Slack users- our message and how we share it with customers and prospects, how we develop educational initiatives that drive deep adoption, and how we bring major new apps to market. The primary audiences you’ll be influencing are end-users, Slack administrators, and decision-makers at our customers.

Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello? 

What you will be doing

  • Drive deeper adoption of our platform through product marketing.
  • Working with our research and analytics teams, develop a deep understanding of customers’ needs through user research, gathering customer feedback, analyzing usage metrics, and conducting competitive research.
  • Identify user insights that can spark effective action by our product team and other teams including developer relations and business development.
  • Collaborate with our customer success and sales team to build audience-focused collateral, including webinars, internal training, blog posts, and presentations that help tell the Slack Platform story.
  • Validate product direction, messaging, and positioning through usability studies and customer betas.
  • Develop a methodology to measure and report the impact of new features.
  • Own go-to-market strategy for new apps including messaging, positioning, customer education, and launch activities that drive sustained adoption.
  • Create customer-facing educational materials that drive feature adoption.
  • Work closely with cross-functional teams across product, marketing, sales, business development, user research, analytics, throughout the product development cycle as well as with sales and marketing to deepen platform usage.


What you should have

  • Have 5+ years in marketing, 2+ years of experience in product marketing.
  • Understand product marketing, including user research, measurement, planning, crafting positioning/messaging, user product education, and developing creative assets (e.g., website content, videos, presentations).
  • Have a record of developing marketing strategies that deepen user engagement.
  • Have experience partnering with and influencing cross-functional teams.
  • Be comfortable with ambiguity and have a proven ability to make informed decisions when the answers aren’t immediately clear.
  • Demonstrate the ability to think strategically about complex issues leading to thoughtful recommendations and action plans.
  • Be analytical and metrics-driven, comfortable finding and digging into data and teasing out insights.
  • BA/BS degree preferred.
  • Nice to have: Tool Geek! Love testing out new apps, tools, and services to learn how they work and make your work-life simpler.

Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.


Job tags: Analytics Research User research