Developer Marketing Manager
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted 1 week ago
Slack is seeking a proven Developer Marketing Manager to join our Platform Marketing team and make developers of Slack apps ever more successful in delivering value to end-users of their apps.
Slack is a channel-based messaging platform. The significance of being a platform is that, when people connect their work to Slack via apps and workflows, they become more successful and productive. These integrations improve the time and effort it takes for teams to get work done. As our CEO Stewart Butterfield has said, we want Slack “to be the 2% of your software budget that is a multiplier on the other 98% of your budget.”
In this role, you will be the specialist on presenting how Slack developers can build powerful apps for Slack by using our open APIs and low-code tools. The primary audience you’ll be influencing are developers of Slack apps, and secondarily decision-makers at our customers who depend on these developers.
Today there are over 700,000 active developers of Slack apps, making us one of the most successful platforms for developers of enterprise services. These developers build both 3rd-party apps and services that build for Slack such as Atlassian, AWS, Google, Microsoft, Salesforce, Workday, and Zoom, and internal or ‘corporate’ developers who build apps for users inside their organizations.
You’ll lead the go-to-market strategy for our offerings that enable developers to build powerful apps and workflows in Slack. You’ll help identify the needs of developers and their end-users, run pilots and betas, set clear goals, build messaging that resonates, and execute GTM activities that extend adoption from launch day. This role is highly cross-functional, requiring partnership with fellow marketers and colleagues in developer relations, product, engineering, sales, comms, and more.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Lead product marketing that drives sustained development on our platform, including through the ongoing marketing of new and existing Slack platform features for developers.
- Partner with product, analytics and research to deeply understand the spectrum of Slack developers; use these findings to compose strategic narratives for developers; and develop and run experiments to optimize how we engage, educate and empower them.
- Develop a holistic understanding of how key audiences – admins, IT decision-makers, and end-users – influence the platform flywheel.
- Develop internal and external messaging, partner and customer enablement, and integrated campaigns and nurture programs for developers.
- Partner with and influence cross-functional teams such as developer relations, product management, business development, customer success, customer support, and our Slack Platform Community team.
- Lead and participate in customer meetings to understand the sentiment of developers in key customer segments, including to get feedback on our platform capabilities.
- Lead pilots and betas of some new platform capabilities, in partnership with product management.
- Lead our messaging and content for our developer-focused activities such as at virtual and on-site events.
What you should have
- You have 4-6 years of related product marketing experience, including focused on developer platforms and/or enterprise marketplaces.
- Demonstrate a passion for relating to technical audiences, and making sophisticated concepts simple to understand for users.
- Show success in having tackled ambiguous problems and broken them down into well-scoped solutions. You focus on impact, not effort.
- Have outstanding communication skills and extraordinary writing ability.
- BA/BS degree preferred.
- Nice to have: Tool Geek! Love testing out new apps, tools, and services to learn how they work and make your work-life simpler. Develop a holistic understanding of how key audiences – admins, IT decision-makers, and end-users – influence the platform flywheel.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.